SAW Region Receives Funding from The Community Foundation
On January 18, SAW RD Jenn Chestnut developed and submitted a funding request of $7,490 to The Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge (CFCBR) to support the 20 percent match required for a new wheelchair accessible mini-van for the Transportation for the Elderly and Disabled (TED) Program. The TED Program received the remaining 80 percent portion ($22,468) for the new vehicle through the Department of Rail and Public Transportation’s 5310 Program last year.
On May 2, Jenn was notified by CFCBR Director of Non-Profit Services Christiana Shields that the funding request was selected for full funding! Christiana stated in part, “Congratulations! The Board of Directors of The Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge is delighted to inform you that a grant has been approved in the amount of $7,490 for expenses for Expanding Mobility. The grant process was particularly competitive this year with over $450,000 in requests, and the Community Grants Committee had a very challenging task to accomplish. Congratulations on this recognition of your important efforts! We look forward to working with you during the coming year.”
Christiana stated 26 organizations were selected for funding totaling $175,000; 51 organizations applied for funding totaling $450,000. Given the competitive process this year, the SAW Region is very thankful for The Foundation’s support of full funding to expand services offered by the TED Program.
The additional vehicle will support the expansion of services to three days per week for individuals in Staunton who live in unserved/underserved transportation areas.